Name:
Location: Quezon City, Philippines

Married to a wonderful wife

Saturday, November 11, 2006

Poker once a week.

I have been quite busy with everything else but I am still able to poker once a week. Now playing these games gave me a couple of questions that you all may be able to help me out on.

These questions are as follows:

When is it a good time to stop action or pretty much push all in and give the decision to the other player(s)? (what pot size, what board and what kind of player do you need to keep in mind)

Pocket a's... You are in middle position (full table of 10) with 12800 stack(4th chip lead, average is 8000 and people were around that) on the 600-1200 blinds. You get one caller in front of you. What will you do?

When you are short stacked, when is it appropriate to push so that your stack is still "threatening"?

I played about 4 games since my last post and I monied only 1 time. LOL

Good game.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have too many answers to the several scenarios that could be in play in the first question so will skip that one.

With Pocket A's in that position with that stack and only one limper, I would only min raise. I kinda want some action calls behind me. In the event I get reraised...then I would push all in.

When I am short stacked I usually begin pushing when my "all in" threatens half my opponents' stack on a fairly tight table. On a loose table I will push with one third of my opponents' stack. My pushing hands are only "playable" cards. If I was holding a monster I would get a little tricky of course :)

Cheers

7:52 PM  
Blogger Maverick said...

1. I'll push all-in only when i think it is the ONLY way to make them fold. Some people will call half their stack on a draw, but fold to a small all-in!

Best scenario is when you have a good read on the player and you know they didnt hit the flop. I honestly dont like all-in PF becuase people have more guts to call. After the flop is the best time to push. (Ryamer's stop and go hehe.)

A-A? RAIZZZE IT!

When i talked to Mark Vos at Alan's place, he said that when he has about 10xBB left, he almost always pushes all-in on every opportunity he has. It is still threatening and you wont get a "must-call" from a big stack. And push on the medium stacks so that it'll be damaging if they call, big stacks just wont fold that easy and call you with marginal hands and could eliminate you.

9:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the feedback guys. Appreciate it.

Ariel

10:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My meaning by "playable" cards is anything I can hopefully try to play post flop in the event I get called. For example, any Ace, any two connectors down to 76 and nothing below pocket 5's. Yes I muck those Ducks.

It is common knowledge and practise for experienced tournament players to start pushing once they only have 10 big blinds left. Its the only way to survive in that state. You have to push and try to steal those that limped and the blinds so that you don't blind away yourself. If you get called, hopefully you can rebuild a healthier stack. So Miguel, you quoted some good advice from Mark Vos.

1:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Darling...are you trying to get some "league" advantage and notes on us hehe. I am getting a read lol!

6:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You better believe it!

Ariel

1:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home