Name:
Location: Quezon City, Philippines

Married to a wonderful wife

Saturday, September 02, 2006

Draws...

I know a lot of us have some way to figure out when to call a draw or when to fold. It could be your gut feel, "pot odds", you're pressured into it or just simply because you want to throw a bad beat. Quoting a friend "I will call you cause I don't like you!" However, the best way to figure out if you should call or if you should fold is your outs and odds. How do you calculate that? I know most of us know how to do that but check this link out...

http://www.pokersherlock.com/pot_odds_chart.html

I try to use odds and outs but sometimes I want to play crazy!

Who was it that said "play nut draws strong"? Well, this advice should be used sparringly... what is already showing on the board should always be reviewed really closely. I think the bolded part is what most people miss. They think oh... nut straight draw... SWEET! Not thinking that a flush may be showing.

Case in point.

You are big blind with As2s in a ring game (20-40). 4 people limps and you see a cheap flop.

Flop - Qs, 6s, Qh - Decision 1

Turn - 8d - Decision 2

I will place the river in the comment box after people reply along with what I did.

Anyhow, lesson - always check what you have and the board.

On a side note. The 1 hour blind WPT formatted tournament ended it's second day at 2am starting at 9am and now we are down to our final table. The chip lead from the 1st stay maintained the lead. Some notables... Barbie Manila is still in, Kettle corn is still in, Doc Butch along with a really tough crowd. Good luck tonight players. If you want to check out the final table action, it starts at 9pm northside. Oh, the bubble is 8th place! Everyone still has more than 10X the big blind. Lots of action for sure! Check it out and maybe you can take some of my money in the ring games. Ü

Good game.

2 Comments:

Blogger 11Finger said...

I might just check fold this hand, with a pair already on board you might make your hand only to find out someone had a full house - which could turn out to be very expensive for you...

3:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is very good. I should have done that.

What I did is I pushed on the turn. The river did not help me and the winner is 3 Q's. There were two of them but one had a lower kicker.

Oh well. Rebuy!

Ariel

9:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home