Name:
Location: Quezon City, Philippines

Married to a wonderful wife

Friday, September 01, 2006

Yet another 1st in Philippine Poker!

Last night was another benchmark in Philippine poker. A 3 day tournament formatted to follow the WPT. 1 hour blinds with a 10k starting stack having the starting blinds at 50-100. What can I say, I was there to watch the 1st day.

The goal for the 1st day is to reduce the number of players to 30. There were 50 would be champions competing for the prize and wouldn't you know it... within the 1st hour there were people out! After a grueling 3.5 hours, the play was stopped for the next day. If you want to check out the action, go to your northside poker hang-out tonight or tomorrow for the final table.

After the 1st day session a cash game was put up. A 20-40 game. The usual players were in along with some new faces so I decide to sit in. Right away I noticed that the table was "action oriented", I needed to protect my stack and I needed to go in with premium hands! But, what can I say. I'm an action kind of guy and before I knew it, I was on my 1st re-buy. Ü It happens. Not to mention about 7 other players getting their max re-buys.

I was pushed by the guy to my left so I pushed back. It just happened that I was outkicked and I saw my first buy-in go. "RE-BUY!"

Ok, here's the 2nd "what would you do scenario". I will have my actions in this one but still feel free to comment on your moves or if you want, comment on my actions.

As mentioned earlier - fairly loose table. I am in seat 5 sandwiched between two agressive players. (nice possition huh?) Everyone has about 3000 in chips except for the guy on my left, he had about 5k and seat 3 who had about 4.5k. I had about 4200. Note of advice - there had been a lot of raises in the hands before this one during pre-flop, the flop, turn and river. Seat three was on his 4th rebuy.

My hole cards are 6's and the dealer button is on seat 10.

I get two limpers then it is up to me. Decision 1

I raised about X5 of the big blinds and I get about 4 callers then seat 3 raises to X12 of the big blind and it is folded to me. I think about it for a long time. Decision 2

I call and it is heads up between me and seat 3.

Flop - 6, Q, 10 (two clubs) - he bets 500 Decision 3

I raised to 1500 (i have about 2300 left after my raise). He raises me 1500 more. Decision 4

I say I didn't see your stack... then I push all in. He insta-called. He shows me a flush draw K8.

Turn - J Hearts!

River - Q Diamonds!

Lesson for the today - only play with money you don't need or money you can lose. Again "feeling desperate" is not a good sign. It messes with your A game.

Good game.

7 Comments:

Blogger GameFrog said...

Very expensive flop am afraid and I would need to fold a 12X raise. You only have less then a 10% chance of nailing the 6 on the flop. But if I did play then I would push the way you did on the flop.

Good play!

8:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was an expensive flop for a 20-40 game. I had a good feeling and I try once in a while to go with my gut. It was just lucky that I was able to hit the flop.

Ariel

1:45 PM  
Blogger 11Finger said...

Wow I'm surprised the tourney stopped after only 3.5 hrs, that means almost half the field went out in just that small amount of time considering how long the blind levels were. Thought it would take them 5-6 hours... Was supposed to play that tourney too but had a conflict in sked when they moved it from last week to this week. Oh well... next time na lang... Was there last thurs for the ladies night didn't see you there...

2:21 PM  
Blogger ivegotdnuts said...

ariel,

what were the blinds? A x5 raise with 66... and a calling a reraiser... urm.... me don't likey... :\ next time just limp in.

All I can say is, its a 10k buy-in right with a rebuy? damn... people do really love to gamb00l. That's like $400 usd including the rebuy. :o

3:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, my week is usually really out of the question cause of my early day but I was in astoria that day. Oh, that is right, 20 guys were out withing 3.5 hours with 1 hr blinds. People were still overbetting like any other tournament. Not that I could blame them. People do go all in when they feel that they have the nutz!

MNLgrind- I was in the cash game for the play I did. Ü 20-40 blinds. For the tournament, you are right, 10000+1000. Starting stack-10000.

Ariel

8:17 PM  
Blogger GameFrog said...

People just don't know about my rule number 1. Dont gameble 100% of your chances for 1% of the total chips in the tournament.

We have a long way to go before the folks back home realize what the long blind levels mean....

8:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is so true. The long blind levels mean grind it out and only bet strong on the nutz. I still need to learn that tournament play rule.

Ariel

3:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home